Image Map
 photo moore-header_zps8e3044af.jpg

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Lies I've told My Friends

I found out that I was pregnant on the morning of Wednesday, July 17.  I had already planned plenty of summer activities with friends and knew that I would have to find a way to hide the fact that I wasn't drinking...Starting with my first lie I began to question how much I actually had been drinking based on the responses from folks about abstaining. Hummmm.

Lie #1 July 17:


Sorry Toes and Epstein,

When you asked me why I wasn't drinking on the boat I told you that I had a meeting the next day. That was a lie. I had found out 5 hours earlier that I would be bringing a new life into our group of friends and was already concerned by what this meant. Epstein, you then point blank asked me if I was pregnant. Thanks a lot. Don't you know that you should never ask that question. Goodness. ;) I giggled, looked off into the distance, and said that we were waiting for Kyle to get out of school. I lingered in the conversation hoping that ending it quickly wouldn't give me away. Toes shared that his brother and sister in law are expecting and Epstein blew my go to "vodka and water (hold all vodka)" plan by telling a story of how he outed another friend's pregnancy when she used the trick.



And then Toes threw himself over his handlebars in his bike which resulted in us making an ER visit.  Newly pregnant me, dislocated shoulder Toes...and an unknowing Daddy to be Kyle on his way home from a business trip to surprise himself with all of the "I'm Pregnant" stuff laying out at home.   More on that later...

July 18: Dinner with Renee and Cherianne at The Taco Joint

Sorry ladies,

I went by this amazing joint earlier in the day to tell them my plan.  Our waiter knew me and when I ordered a margarita he brought me a limeade...over and over...Got ya!  Of course Renee now says that she knew something must have been up since I was early to the dinner.  So early in fact that I already had my first drink.  This coming from the girl who's always 15 minutes late for everything...me.  Sorry!

July 19: Fake drinking on the boat with Toes, Lauren, Mike, and Nerve
We even played a drinking game...for several hours.  I just "sipped" the same beer and then awkwardly dumped a full can of beer over the side of the boat when we got off.

July 20: Flask full of "vodka" aka water
I did this on the boat with a large crew and at the Jason Aldean concert with Toes.  Each time I refilled I simply found my Cubs flask and dumped in some more water. Bryson, bless his "I only have brothers" heart, even tried a sip and quickly exclaimed... "it just tastes really watered down..." Well, yup, it probably does considering its water and lemonade.  Later that night I went to the Jason Aldean concert with Toes and brought in a "surprise" for us so that he did not try to buy us beers all night.  I had a flask of "vodka" for me and whiskey for him.  Needless to say by the end of the night and several "You getting after it Georgie"'s later, Toes was cross eyed and I was really well hydrated.

Monday, July 21:- Both Moore brothers were in town for the whole weekend and never asked one question.  On our last day together I took the boys back to the Taco Joint and the same sweet waiter spotted me and asked it I would like "my usual."  Bryson and Ryan were a little concerned with how often I went to The Taco Joint if they knew "my usual." HAHA. I left a large tip.



Tues, July 23: Keifer's with Momma and MA
I did not tell my own mother for a week after finding out!  I was even in Madison with her!  Crazy I know, but Kyle wanted to be there too.  We stopped by Keifers to grab lunch and I went in to secretly ask the wait staff if the feta was pasteurized.  I whispered and told them it was hush, hush and the waiter, clearly a man, wasn't paying attention.  As soon as I sat back down he runs out the door and yells, "Who's pregnant and asking About feta cheese?!?!"  I buried by head in the menu, MA says that she blacked out, and my sweet Momma looked around and exclaimed, "It's not me!"  Thanks for taking one for the team Suzzy and never asking either of us about it again.  Bless you.

Friday, July 26- The Ray siblings and spouses headed to the beach towards the end of the week and since we were waiting to have both sets of parents with us, I bought lots of "juices" for mock-tails.  We had a red wine bottle full of grape juice...the real stuff was actually hidden in the closet for MA to drink.






 I thought that surely since the Moore brothers had no clue that my brothers would follow suit and that I would not have to even pretend to drink.  Sure enough though, brothers of sisters know and within hours of them being around me the rumor mill had started and both were asking MA if I was pregnant.  So I ordered a "vodka" water at Cobalt and blamed Kyle and Timmy's good time for my not heavily drinking.



























Friday-Sunday, August 2-4: John and Meg's wedding in Lincoln, NE. Sorry Kate but when you poured me that glass of wine at the nail salon I fake drank it and then left it. Oops...Before each event (both the rehearsal and the reception), I paid off the bartender and asked them to only serve me vodka and water, hold the vodka. They did. Kate called me out (in private) and my awkward wink let her know that I was lying.  Michelle also called me out to John, who proceeded to call me out in front of all of the NU soccer boys. Luckily Samantha came to my rescue and spoke out that I was a bridesmaid and couldn't continue drinking all night. Thanks girl. John didn't let up though and continued to talk about it, and baby John Kyle Jr., for the remainder of the wedding weekend. He even send a thanks for coming to the wedding note that thanked "the three" of us for coming.


Brad Napper-Even though you gave me one of the worst and longest call outs by monitoring my alcohol intake for the entire weekend and sharing your theory with Leslie, I still thought it was funny. I also appreciate your "apology" that consisted of you saying that even though you were quite positive that I was pregnant, you felt bad for calling me out and that you would be really excited for me when I finally told you...in a few weeks. You're a silly man.

And the lies went on and on throughout the summer.  We continued with our active lives and I "drank" my way through very social interaction that we had.  I was introduced to "Fre" wine by my sweet friend Ellen Fritts and was even able to host a girls night out because of it.  While the soccer boys/our husbands and boyfriends were away playing soccer we were enjoying talking about them over several bottles of wine...it just so happened that mine was coming from my hiding spot under the sink and included sparkling grape juice and Fre wine.  Needless to say, no one knew...and I found out that drinking a bottle of anything...real or fake will still make you feel sick.

We were so excited to be able to share our news with all of our sweet friends.  We started telling our Chicago friends during week 11 and told the final folks in our Chicago family at supper club and my "teachers" friends turned stay at home moms at our girls night at week 12.  Since were were able to hear that sweet heartbeat again at week 13 we decided to make it "official" with a silly social media announcement right before week 14.

Oh how nice it is to be honest again.  Sorry to everyone who may have have their trust in me tested.  I hope that this news was well worth it. :)

Side Note:  While I have every intention of keeping this up to date, I am really just trying to make sure that I have something to put into a baby book for sweet Baby Moore.  I have lots of post in draft form and will be adding to them and publishing as much as possible.  This is a goal...not a promise :)

The "How I told Kyle" and "How we told our Family and Friends" stories are being drafted right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment