Image Map
 photo moore-header_zps8e3044af.jpg

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Why I am "On Strike"



Hey Friends,

I have been truly overwhelmed by the support that friends from all over have shown me this week as I stand strong for a population that is not yet able to stand for themselves. Friends from D.C., Mississippi, Seattle, and California have texted, worn red, and “liked” my post to show their love, support, and understanding. I wanted to put some things into perspective for those who may not know what it means to be a teacher, yet alone a teacher in the country’s 3rd largest district that also services 80% of students who qualify for free and reduced lunch (aka poverty). My feelings have been crushed at some of the comments that people have made about teachers and the 1% signs (flipping of the middle finger) that more than a hand full of white men driving BMWs or Mercedes have flashed me this week.

Beginning Monday afternoon, instead of holding an “On Strike” sign I held a sign that read, “Please ask me why I am on strike before you say something ugly or tell me to go back to work. I want to share my stories. I want to help you understand. PLEASE stop me and ask. J” I did this for people who I encountered on the street and just as I write this message to you whom I cannot talk face-to-face with. If something is unclear PLEASE send me your questions. I truly want to help you understand my students’ and my perspective on what this strike means for the future of public education in CPS and ultimately my students and your (future) children.

There has been much confusion/concern about why CTU is striking. Legally (http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1177&ChapterID=19), we can strike over OUR compensation, OUR working conditions, and OUR evaluations. We cannot strike over things for students such as their class size. CTU’s rights were limited with provisional bargaining and it is the choice of CPS as to what we can bargain over. For example, we asked for a 30% raise, knowing we wouldn’t get it, so that CPS would open bargaining concerning student issues such as money for supplies/materials, technology, smaller class size, etc. We made wild demands to force CPS to allow us to talk about the things that our kids need. So when you see in the news that CTU is striking over compensation, working conditions, and evaluations know that within those issues that we can legally strike over are dozens of student issues that we can only “fight” for.  

Why I am striking/fighting…


Students who came out to picket with us on Wednesday. 

A Better School Day (Fighting):
I am ALL for more time with my kids. Last year I was told by my Network (a sub-division of CPS) that I was NOT to teach social studies AT ALL and that I was not to teach science during “peak testing windows” which equates to between 2 and 4 months/year. Remember…this came from CPS. Each day my students attended 40 minutes of “resource” which consisted of them going into a computer lab with either a highly qualified art teacher OR a day-to-day sub to work on standardized test prep materials on a computer based software. My students attended this type of class 4 out of 5 days per week. They did not attend music, foreign language, or library (for one, we did not have funding for these positions from CPS) but instead spent their time doing a task that has NOTHING to do with their ability to be successful in the real world much less assist them in being college and career ready. With this “Better School Day” CPS is delivering a low blow to teachers saying that it is our fault that students were not receiving these necessary extras when in reality their absence was coming straight from CPS.

Air Conditioning (Fighting and Striking):
Have you ever tried to be productive/motivated/successful when it’s above 90…even 80 inside of your office?  My students and I withstand this heat for 4-6+ weeks each year. It’s 2012 and the only air circulation that we have comes from 3 box fans that I bought with personal funds. Students often have to go home because they get sick in the heat. We must have a plan for installing, at the least, window units, in all classrooms if we want our students to be engaged for a longer/better school day and year.

Why Shouldn’t CPS teachers ask for air conditioning:

Wrap Around Services (Fighting):
Staff such as nurses, social workers, psychologist, speech therapist, etc. are assigned to no less than 5 schools with a case load of well over 100 students. This means that my students who require any of these services only receive them once per week, given the staff member isn’t ill, at a mandatory CPS meeting/professional development, or something else.  Most of my students who need these resources rely on them at the school level. Without them students continue to suffer from emotional, developmental, and physical conditions which may not be cared for by a professional outside of school.

Technology (Fighting):
The technology provided to me by CPS consist of one overhead projector (yes, the one with the hot bulb inside) and a refurbished “teacher” computer. Through donations from generous friends and Kyle and my personal funds my students also have 3 refurbished computers, a laptop, an iPad, a LCD projector (hooks up to the computer), digital camera, and a flip video camera. Most students NEVER learn how to use these other resources until they reach high school…if even.  How can CPS expect my students to be college and career ready when they are still 20+ years behind in technology?  With these resources students conduct research, engage in social science projects that include Skyping, interviewing, and analyzing data, record and analyze their fluency in order to set goals and monitor their growth, and much more. (I would LOVE to tell you about all the cool things we are doing!!!)

Teacher Evaluations (Striking):
I am all for fair teacher evaluations. When done professionally and correctly they serve as a means for teachers to receive praise for their strengths and support for their biggest needs. The modified Charlotte Danielson rubric that principals will be using this year is 100x better than the check list they have used in the past which included, and I kid you not, whether teachers had posters hanging around the room. Some concerns are that principals are not receiving adequate training on the evaluation process and that the way students’ standardized test scores will be factored into MY evaluation is anything but a true representation of my ability to teach. In my west side school, over half of the students enter my room reading well below the expected third grade reading levels. Some students are as low as kindergarten level and barley recognize letter-sound relationships. There are a multitude of reasons behind this issue: the fact that there have been 30+ other students in their classrooms between PreK-3rd grade so their teacher was not physically able to provide them with the intensive differentiated instruction that they needed, our school’s specialized service teachers (speech therapy, psychologist, nurse, social worker, etc) only come once a week and have 100+ other students on their case load, they need glasses or the ones they have are broken/the wrong prescription, and many more that I would be happy to explain further if you are interested.
One person wrote this on FB about teachers being held accountable: 

“All I am saying is, there needs to be an awareness that there are other people who work just as hard for longer periods of time (whether its extra hours or not) and
 do a better job at what they are doing.”

Let me give a quick analogy in terms of a coaches being held accountable for their teams’ successes or failures. Imagine that the football team you are coaching consist of players whom you were not able to hand pick. You must take them all. Homeless, hungry, emotionally, physically, and developmentally disabled, players with behavioral issues, and those who are not highly motivated. Now mind you, you are working hard…long hours, little respect…you are giving it you’re all. But you see there is this other team (Charter schools) who get to hand pick the students that they accept onto their team, they also receive additional resources, and are free to “let go” of players who do not fit with their teams’  philosophy and mission. Oh and by the way…you get those kids as well as kids who have missed most of their other games or who have been kicked off of other teams…during the middle of a game throughout the season. You may be thinking…you know what I can still do this. All kids deserve a chance. BUT then the head of the league tells you that you can’t actually have footballs or pads. If you want, YOU can buy the helmets though…after all you are making $1,400 more this year. Additionally, players will need to spend about 1/2-3/4 of practice taking a few tests to see if they are ready to play.  Good luck…oh and if you’re players don’t measure up you’re fired. May the odds be forever in your favor! J

Teachers have such a small amount of control over students’ lives outside of the school day.  Relying so heavily on student test scores is an unfair way to evaluate teachers without taking outside factors into account. Have you ever had to come to school with stitches IN your eye because the man in your mother’s life was actually married and during a domestic brawl he threw a glass coke bottle at your face? What about the kid who’s father was killed one week and then forced to take one of these standardized tests the next or else he would have to go to summer school? Diontae, the one in the picture with the glasses...his glasses were broken AND the wrong prescription until Christmas time when Kyle’s generous boss donated money for ME to take him to get a new pair. Oh and his house burnt down causing him to have to bounce from house to house throughout the year… These stories follow most (not all) of my students and affect their school/learning lives.  Count your blessings if you know none of these struggles, came home to a stable family, and were supported in private or affluent schools growing up.

The proposed teacher evaluations will simply run off good teachers from the areas where they are needed the most. Who would be motivated/willing to devote themselves and their family’s livelihood to working in a place with such unpredictable outcomes? In this evaluation system when you fail to measure student growth (while in my class) and instead focus on unreliable standardized testing the cards are stacked against teachers, including me.

Time spent on standardized tests (Fighting and Striking):
Within the first week of school (4 days mind you…) I was mandated to give my students a total of 7 tests from either my network or CPS. Each test took at least 30 minutes, was culturally biased, and is used by our network/CPS to evaluate ME. Let me set the stage…there are 22 eight-year-olds, its 85 degrees, my kids are begging to continue with their personal narratives that we started the day before during Writers’ Workshop, and I have to stop them to administer two of these tests. They worked hard for the first 10 minutes or so but then began to lose it. Remember now, half of my class is below the expected grade level and are doing their best to decode any word they can…then come the melt downs. “Mrs. Moore, I really am trying…Mrs. Moore my stomach hurts, can I get water…” and then just the silent tears. I quickly realized that everyone needed a Popsicle break and pep talk. Soon thereafter I abandoned the tests because I know that my students are more than test scores and that my time with them is best spent TEACHING!  Each year between January and March the same thing happens. I am mandated to teach towards standardized tests instead of providing students with authentic, engaging, critical thinking driven activities. Of course the achievement gap grows daily…when will testing skills outweigh those actually needed to be a productive citizen?

And finally the most talked about issue:
Raise (Striking): Everyone has seen the e-card that reads, “I became a teacher for the money...said no teacher ever.” The news is reporting that the average teacher in CPS makes 75K. That figure was found after they added in teachers’ benefits package. In truth, the average teacher brings home less than 56K a year. Keep in mind too that CPS teachers MUST live in the city of Chicago therefore making the cost of living higher. Last year we were promised a 4% raise and were then told that the board was out of money. Fine. Okay. It happens. BUT CPS then found $150,000 for any school willing to commit to working an hour and a half longer school day. (PS-The teachers did not receive this money even if their school signed off on it…)While I know this amount would not have been enough to finance a 4% raise for all 30,000 Union members…just the fact that we were lied to and tricked into unfair labor made me question Rahm and Brizzard. Fast forward to this past July when the fact finder published his report saying that based on the additional work load CPS was asking from teachers, a 19% raise would be fair.
Who are we kidding, no one, not even CTU, honestly thought that CPS would even entertain that figure. Karen Lewis, CTU President, said Sunday night before the strike that the issue of raises was close to being settled. Teachers will probably receive less than 3% during the first year and 2% for the following 3 years. Hey, any raise is fine by me. I completely understand that many people in the country haven’t received a raise in years---that’s not fair either and I wish that they had a collective bargaining group to stand up for them. Just because one person hasn’t been given something they deserve doesn’t mean that another group shouldn’t either.

Earlier this week I was asked, “Since the raise wasn’t the biggest issue for most teachers, will you and others be putting your raises into a fund for students?” My response was this: Most teachers spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars every year on school supplies, copies, field trips, incentives, and other miscellaneous items that are needed to maintain a successful classroom environment. Many of my students come to school without so much as a pencil let alone any additional “supply money” for things such as subscriptions to A Time for Kids, science manipulatives/materials, or books for the classroom library. Every year Kyle and I spend over $1,200 buying needed materials for my classroom. No one is asking for a pat on the back here because I know that all of my friends would do the exact same thing in my situation, however, I would like to know how much people in the business world give back to their companies…My point being that, yes, I will continue to support my students financially.

Kyle and I have no children of our own (yet) so the students of Chicago are my children. I dream about them, worry over them, devote myself to them, and show them the love that I hope all of my future children receive from their teachers. If Kyle would let me, I’d bring some home with me too. I hope that my story has helped you to have a better understanding of why I am on strike. Believe me, we would all rather be in the classroom. The emotional, mental, and physical exhaustion from a strike is far worse than a 90 degree classroom in a community with the 3rd highest murder rate in the city…
I am honored to be a part of this strike. I am making history and being the change that I want to see in the world. I invite anyone to come into my west side classroom once the strike is over in order to get a true idea of what public education looks like. Stare inequality in the face, see the hard work that we do, and then form your opinions about teachers.

Thank you for your support!

Georgia Anne Moore
3rd Grade Teacher, Reading Specialist, and National Board Candidate

Signs with my students' faces that read:
  • "How motivated/successful are you in 95 degree heat? My students withstand this heat for  4-6+ weeks per year. I love my students and stand strong for them!"
  • "This is NOT about MY pay...I will always measure up. This is about my kids...they are NOT standardized test scores. They ARE our future and they deserve MORE."
  • "Please stop and ask my why I am striking before you say something ugly or tell me to go back to work. I want to share my stories with you. I want to help you understand. PLEASE stop me and ask." 
Video:

Student Leading Chant at Rally



This is an outstanding speech from a lawyer, taxpayer, and CPS parent:

Excellent research based information about issues being negotiated:
Additional “Why I am striking…”
http://www.suntimes.com/news/otherviews/15068666-452/hard-facts-behind-union-board-dispute.html


Image
If you like, you may choose to donate to our classroom here: http://www.donorschoose.org/we-teach/1493934?active=true Please do NOT feel like you should do this. I wrote this post to inform others but have had a few emails asking how people can help. Thanks for reading! :)

32 comments:

  1. Thank y'all for all of the sweet comments and texts! Please pass this on to friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support you all 110% and will continue to. I am so proud of you for taking a stand for what you believe in.
    Love you sweetie!

    Rene’ Edwards

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard some terrible things said about CPS teachers from "they are greedy" to "they are lazy" and beyond. If you have read none of the links I have posted and you disagree with the CTU strike, I implore you to at least read this one. As MLK said, "nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Hear these teachers out, first hand, on the actual issues and what is behind why they went on strike casting judgement based on media accounts.

    From a FB friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great explanation....very helpful to those who have an open mind and are willing to learn. Good luck with National Board Certification!

    Jada Gilleylen, NBCT
    Fellow CPS Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of you! Thank you for standing up for your students and devoting your life to making a difference in the lives of children. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have chills!!! I am going to forward this blog to all my family and friends because you've pretty much summed up what we, the teachers, are FIGHTING FOR. Thank you a million GA. You are an inspiration and a wonderful teacher. I hope to work with you again. XO Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  7. GA- this was great. It is so important for people to be informed. Keep fighting for your kiddos and what you believe to be right! Big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so proud to be a teacher and stand with my colleagues in CPS! We don't have the power to bargain here in MS, but I wish we did. I hope everything pays off--for the students and the teachers. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautifully written and truly addresses the issues at stake. To me, this is a fight for our kids and for public education reform. It's so much bigger than anyone realizes except for maybe the teachers. I'm proud of what we do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! I shared on FB. I think others need the opportunity to hear directly from one involved in the strike.

    I only wish all unions were as strong. There are many decisions being made by those in power that are detrimental to students.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great explanation. Will share. (would like to ask if this is a typo: should "peek testing windows" be "peak testing windows?" Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom just finished her 30th year teaching in public schools and I'm currently in school to be a teacher as well. I completely support you (and all the CPS teachers) and respect you. I'm so appreciative that you took the time to write this and are standing up for what you're most passionate about! I will definitely be passing this along so others can be informed too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha! Good luck with your teaching journey!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for laying this out so clearly. I find it sad that John Dewey pioneered studies on how to effectively educated over a hundred years ago, and he said then that standardization doesn't work (he also argued for small class sizes). Oh, and it was in Chicago that he conducted his research. Grr.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Proud of you for fighting change! Those kids are blessed to have teachers like you! Praying for the best outcome possible!

    ReplyDelete
  15. fighting 'for' change. dang typos :/

    ReplyDelete
  16. A friend of mine posted a link to your Blog on Facebook. All I can say, for what it is worth, is thank you. I don't live anywhere near Chicago, I'm not a teacher, I don't have children, and I thank you for doing what you do every day. I hope that this strike leads to something better. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautifully said, Georgia. We are so lucky to have you at CPS. Thanks for reaching out to explain the heart of why we are striking. - From a fellow teacher standing up for children.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely amazing! Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stay strong!!! You are fighting for all the right reasons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Georgia Moore I can not tell how proud I am of you for standing true to the profession you chose and the children of Chicago. I too am a teacher and have experienced a good deal of what you see daily (although not in that magnitude). You are doing what we all do...love our students and believe that they are more than standardized test scores!!! Hold your head high and your spine straight...you are doing what is right and one day those little faces will come back as young adults and thank you for loving them and caring enough to fight for them. Good luck and may God bless all of you! If I'm ever in Chicago I will take you up on your offer and stop by your classroom...I know I will be amazed!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've heard all week about the strike, but so appreciative of this posting. I am a 3rd grade teacher in Texas, and although we have our own complaints about the education system here, I can't imagine some of the things you are going through. My prayers and support go out to you and your fellow teachers, and especially to those kiddos in the system there!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry, I don't believe in striking. I've been a teacher for 38 years, love every minute and continue to try to improve every year. I'm at school by 7AM and rarely leave before 4 or 5. I work in a low income area and tutor after school 3 days a week - whether I get paid for it or not. We've not had a raise in over 4 years and our contract is in its 19th month of postponed negotiations, but we are the only district in our part of LA county that still has 20/1 in K-3, no furlough days, or teacher layoffs. Are we thrilled with the status quo - no. However, our school improved another 24 points in their API, bringing us up to over 850. We are a Title One school, in the middle of one of the largest gang injunction areas of LA county, with the majority of our families useing Spanish as their primary language. My fellow educators aren't thrilled with the financial situation, but when we see the gains our students achieve, we know we are in this for the children and and their future. By the way, our average salary is at least $10,000 less per year than yours and our state is one of the most expensive to live in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra thank you for your hard work with the children of LA. I am sure that you have more of an impact on their lives than you will ever know. I hope that you and your co-workers eventually receive everything that you need and deserve. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! :)

      Delete
  23. I can appreciate your points but the fact of the matter is your students are not learning one single useful thing right now. You can try to justify it however you want by talking about what you hope to do for them in the future, but you are wasting their opportunity to learn right now. There is a whole lot of work getting done all over this country in ninety or a hundred degree heat and has been since long before air conditioning became available. I can agree that there are many problems embedded in the Chicago public schools, and throughout all areas of Chicago government in general, but none of that is likely to change. If they cared at all things wouldn't be as bad as you say. All your strike is doing is removing the students from the group who does claim to care about them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I recently spent 5 years teaching just outside Dallas, TX. I am now at home with two babies. I am so glad you wrote this. It is very informative. I am glad your school day was lengthened and I hope it allows you to have more time for meaningful learning. I am not sure I think the teachers need a raise to go along with the new hours. It seems like that should have been the length of the school day all along, compared to the national average. I wonder if it might not have been better for everyone if teachers had given up the raise in exchange for more positions on campus - art teachers, music, librarians, counselors, and more classroom teacher to decrease class size. Good luck to you! I hope your conditions at school improve and your students get more of what they deserve. I am glad you can be a voice for them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great explanation, and more power to you! We're all next- I'm sure. I'm terribly sorry for all of the problems and things that you are enduring, and I hope that things improve as a result. Just your description of the classroom with no air conditioning sounds deplorable. I taught afternoon Kindergarten in a room with no air conditioning for many years in Southern CA in an inland area, far away from the beach. Often times, it was more than 100 degrees outside, and the children were expected to keep on learning inside just the same. It was hot, sticky, and horrid inside. My response was ALWAYS- there should be no AC in the district office running until every classroom has it.
    Keep on keeping on, and keep your chin up!
    Heidi Butkus
    http://heidisongs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. This was a great post to read. I have heard lots of different things about the strike and this really helped to clarify things. This is my 5th year of teaching 1st grade...and while I love it and I love my students, I get more and more frustrated every year with the things that teachers have to put up with. I can tell that you love your students and want the very best for them. Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to your kids. I'm sure they just love and adore you.

    I shared your post on facebook in hopes of informing/educating others about the strike.

    Jackie Abeyta
    Crazy Daze in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing your story. We are going through our own challenges with Government in the Ontario, Canada Education system; however (as frustrating as they are), they don't seem to compare. Keep fighting the good fight. Your students are lucky to have such an eloquent and passionate teacher.
    Yours in solidarity, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  28. God bless you for all that you are doing! I'm a kindergarten teacher in Oklahoma & I support your battle.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You not only speak for teachers in Chicago but teachers everywhere! We're facing many of the very same issues here in Florida! Our state doesn't allow us to strike so we're stuck, waiting, hoping, praying things will change. We wish there was more we could do. Thank you for posting this- you took the words right out of my mouth! Hang in there...my prayers are with you all!

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete